Ishigaki Island in Okinawa prefecture is best known throughout Japan as a resort island of idyllic, white sand beaches.

My partner and I were there last weekend, and were indeed wowed by the island's elegant beaches that, driving around the coast, we would happen on every few minutes.

However, there was another aspect of Ishigaki that captured my imagination even more completely: Ishigaki's trees.

Ishigaki Island is semi-tropical, meaning that besides the pines that grow here as they grow all over Japan, there are numerous other kinds of trees not generally found on the mainland, most notably palms. Another kind of tree that I felt compelled to photograph a lot of was one with a trunk that was wreathed in what looked like thick woody tendrils (I think it's an arakashi, or Quercus glauca).

Ishigaki Island is also very windswept, and the gales that blow sculpt the trees in dramatic ways that beg to be photographed if not painted.

Enjoy the above slideshow of a few of the trees on Ishigaki that I found particularly memorable

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

living in volcan crater in Aogashima

Trip to Tokio

3 Best restaurants in Japan